While you enjoy your fun in the sun, try these ideas to keep your furry friend safe in the summer heat.
If your pet stays outside, make sure there is shelter with a cool, shaded area. Keep fresh water for your pet in this shady area.
- Keep your pet out of the sun from 10:00 in the morning until 4:00 in the afternoon when the sun's rays are the most harmful. When you do go outside to play, put sunscreen on areas of your pet that are not protected by fur, such as the ears, the skin around the lips and the tip of the nose.
Don't leave your pets outside on long, hot days even if they're in the shade. Bring them inside to cool off.
- Keep your pets groomed in the summer. They'll stay cooler on hot days if they have less fur.
- Always keep a bowl full of fresh water out for your pet.
- If you have a reptile, like a snake, frog or lizard, make sure you have a wide, shallow bowl of water that they can drink from and lay in. Be sure to clean the water bowl and give them fresh water frequently.
- Never leave your pet unsupervised around a pool.