Fleas and Ticks
It's very important to protect your furry friend from fleas and ticks. But what time of year should you treat your pet for these insects?
Flea and tick season is different depending on where you live-it's based on the weather conditions in your area. In most parts of the country, the worst part of the flea and tick season is from May to September. If you live in a very warm place, your pet could get fleas and ticks year-round. On the other hand, if you live in a colder place, your pet may only get fleas and ticks in the summer. But you should be on the look out for fleas and ticks all year because these nasty insects can even live inside warm houses in the winter!
Try these ideas to protect your dog or cat from fleas and ticks:
- Every time your pet comes in from playing outside, check for ticks. Feel around for small bumps under your dog or cat's fur-ticks can hide just about anywhere on a pet's body!
- Comb your pet's fur with a flea comb every few days.
- Help your parents bathe your dog often, especially if he/she plays outside a lot.
- To make sure fleas can't live in your home, help your parents vacuum your carpet frequently and ask your parents to put flea powder inside the vacuum bag.
- Make sure your parents treat your pet with monthly flea and tick prevention from your vet.